Greyhound Pet Adoption Northwest welcomes volunteers from all walks of life, regardless of whether they have adopted a Greyhound. All that is required is a love of animals, and a willingness to work. For more information or to get involved, contact our Volunteer Coordinator or call 503-784-1285
You can download a copy of our Volunteer Handbook here. Volunteer Handbook Revised final 3.4.16
URGENT OPEN POSITION – Hounds Rest Coordinator
This person trains and schedules volunteers to assure coverage when dogs are in residence at Hounds Rest; assures that food, medications and supplies are on location as needed; coordinates necessary maintenance for the facility.
- Trains or delegates the training of new HR volunteers in kennel and safety procedures.
- Schedules volunteers for daily AM kennel cleaning, feeding and turnout of dogs residing at Hounds rest; coordinates with the Volunteer Recruiter and Volunteer Scheduler to fill time slots as needed; also directly recruits volunteers. Preferred to have 2 visits per day with PM visit for turn out and feces removal.
- Maintains a current list of all current kennel volunteers including name, email and phone numbers
- Arranges for greeting of new dogs and team volunteers when groups of hounds are transported to Hounds Rest; works with Animal Welfare Coordinator and transport crew to get dogs out of trailers, settled in individual runs, fed, and other necessary activities following intake protocols.
- Coordinates the daily messages and logs indicating to volunteers any pertinent information about individual dogs, including medications they are on; reports medical problems to Animal Welfare Coordinator as needed.
- Manages a closed Facebook group to communicate with HR volunteers and Board members.
- Develops hound enrichment activities such as dog walks at Stargazer farm.
- Works with Board members to document and post an up-to-date emergency plan including contact information, and plans for inclement weather and hound injury or escape.
- Assures that food and other supplies are available as needed in the facility’s storage container.
- Brings issues regarding kennel maintenance and improvement to the Board of Director’s attention and action
- Creates a monthly HR report for the Board of Director’s including # of dogs onsite at the end of each month, Condition concerns such as kennel repair, safety issues,Volunteer numbers and availability, Supply inventory,Blanket inventory
PREFERRED SKILLS: Experience working safely with greyhounds directly from the racing track; ability to train and schedule volunteers, good overall organizational and communication skills. Please email email@example.com if you or someone you know is interested.
We are looking for a volunteer, preferably with retail experience. The Merchandise coordinator handles online order from our GreytStuff Store and also brings merchandise to events to sell. The merchandise coordinator should have a large vehicle for transporting merchandise to events as well as storage space for some inventory if needed. In addition, this person will need the ability and availability to take, set up, and sell merchandise at approximately 8 to 10 events around the state throughout the year. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like more information.
OPEN POSITION – VOLUNTEER SCHEDULER
This person maintains contact information on GPANW volunteers (Excel and/or email database) and recruitts volunteers for GPANW events and activities. Respond to requests from event leaders for volunteers – when, where, how many. Send group emails to volunteers and track signups to assure adequate numbers for the events. Requires communication via email and sometimes phone, knowldge of upcoming event needs. If you’d like more infomration about this position, please email email@example.com.
OPEN POSITION – BOOK KEEPER
PURPOSE: Maintains accurate and timely financial records using Quickbook, and processes income and expense transactions. Provides monthly statement to the Board of Directors and works under the general direction of the board Treasurer and the Board of Trustees.
- Performs day to day bookkeeping and accounting processes including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and donations. Does weekly deposits and bi weekly check runs.
- Keeps books in accordance with chart of accounts and GAAP to assure accuracy and adequate internal controls.
- Receives and deposits adoption, donation, and related revenue; notifies Donation Coordinator of donations needing tax acknowledgement receipts.
- Processes payment requests; reviews documentation, prepares checks and supporting vouchers, and arranges for signature by board President or other authorized signer.
- Prepares monthly financial statements including balance sheet, income statement and specialized reports; submits to board prior to monthly board meetings for acceptance.
- Reconciles monthly bank accounts for GPANW’s general and merchandise accounts.
- Attends quarterly Board of Trustee meetings, prepares financial information for BOT review, responds to questions regarding chosen transactions.
- Prepares year-end financial statement, prepares federal 990 and state CT-12 tax forms with assistance from outside CPA as needed.
- Notifies Treasurer and board President of unusual bookkeeping issues or concerns.
- Maintains filing system for invoices and other financial records.
PREFERRED SKILLS: Knowledge of and proficiency with QuickBooks and Excel, previous experience in a bookkeeping or accounting function; ability to attend to detail and meet deadlines.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
NEW – Chow Hounds -Fundraising by dining out – click here to get your Chow Hounds kit. You can have a fun dine out night for the greyhounds and raise funds to help support our mission. Bring your friends to your favorite dining spots and everyone wins! Chow Hounds kit (1)
Hounds Rest Volunteers – Volunteers are needed every morning at our temporary housing facility for new dogs, located in Sandy, Oregon. Volunteers feed dogs, take them to turn-out pens, and clean individual pens. Routine daily care takes approximately 2 to 3 hours, depending on number of dogs. Additional volunteers are needed for periodic work days to do kennel maintenance and take care of the turnouts and fences. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the list.
Hounds Out and About Volunteers (HOAA) – Volunteers needed to accompany coordinators on HOAA events. These are usually all-day or weekend (overnight) trips outside the Portland metro area where several adoptable dogs are taken, either in the Greyhound Adoption Northwest trailer or in vehicles. Each trip requires several volunteers to help prepare the dogs for transport, set up and man the event, and pack up and return. Contact email@example.com if you’d like to be contacted about HOAA events and watch our schedule on the events page.
Foster Families – Families who open their homes to a new greyhound are the heart of our program. Foster parents are responsible for the care of the greyhound including: house-training, teaching appropriate indoor and outdoor behavior, walking on a leash, proper interaction with other pets and family members. This is one of our most critical and rewarding volunteer roles! For more information on fostering, please click here.
Fundraising – Our Fundraising Committee is looking for new volunteers with experience and interest in donor development, corporate sponsorships, fundraising event planning or advertising. If you have Grant Writing experience we’d love to talk to you. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Placement Volunteers – Remember the person who introduced you to your first greyhound and provided you with support and advice in those first couple of weeks? If you have some greyhound experience, perhaps you can share that same positive experience for another individual or family as they embark on greyhound adoption. Let us know if you would like to learn more about one of the most critical and most rewarding volunteering jobs: introducing greyhounds to their forever homes. Contact volunteernw-gpa-nw.org.
Transportation Volunteers – The Greyhounds often need to be transported from one place to another. This may be from their foster home to an event or to the veterinarian for an appointment. All that is needed is some training in handling a Greyhound safely and good driving! We can use help in many areas of Portland, Salem and Eugene. Contact email@example.com if you are interested in this position.
Major Events Helpers – Greyhound Pet Adoption Northwest puts on several major events each year. These special events require a lot of manpower to move the materials from storage to the event site, setup of the events, and staffing. No experience is necessary for most aspects of this work, but you will be trained as needed.
Sewing volunteers – Do you have a sewing machine that is crying for use? Are you a seamstress that needs something new to stitch? If so you are just the person our greyhounds are looking for. The pups that reside in our holding facility are very active and really like presenting a challenge for the novice seamstress. They take greyt pride in their abilities to tear holes, rip seams and just generally make a mess out of a blanket, just so they can see the reaction of the cleaning crew the following day. We are in need of at least one, possibly two volunteers that can take larger donated blankets, cut them into usable size and finish the edges (a surger works really well but a tight zigzag stitch works too) as well as mend existing blankets that our puppies tear apart. The blankets are always laundered prior to repairs and we will arrange to have blankets dropped off and picked up when ready. If you have some spare time and would like to help keep the greyhounds comfy and warm please contact Teresa Tubbs (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jackie Holstrom (email@example.com).